Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Writing Three

The Community in Schools program has changed my life in so many ways. Two years ago I didn’t know if I would even graduate high school. Now I’m making good grades, and I am on the right track to graduation. It’s not that I’m not smart; I just haven’t always been motivated to go to school. Communities in Schools has made school seem like an important part of life that I don’t mind doing. I’ve always wanted to go to college and have a good future. I just hated going to school. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the people there, but I just couldn’t find the proper motivation to go. Now at Classic City High School, in Athens, Georgia, I’m enjoying school, and I’m on the right path to graduation.

One thing Community in Schools has taught me is that if I put my mind to it success I can go to school and make it through. If I work hard enough, I can accomplish anything. Its funny how at one school you can be bored, and somewhere else you don’t mind going. I’m not saying I look forward to going to school. I don’t think anyone actually looks forward to it, but I don’t dread it anymore. I can get up in the morning and not have any reason not to go.

Grades were never really a problem for me. Instead it was too many absences. I missed too many days of school. So even though I had good grades, I still didn’t get credit for the classes I had finished. The funny thing is that the attendance policy is even stricter at Classic City High School than it is at other schools. I still get up every morning, and get ready and go to school without feeling any dread about it. It might be because I enjoy the people here better, but it is just a completely different feeling. It feels a lot less depressing than other schools do. Instead of finding excuses not to go, I try to do what ever it takes to get there. I can’t be sure what my GPA would be in another school, but I wouldn’t be willing to bet it wouldn’t be better than it is here.

The Community in Schools program has also helped me by providing good things to put on my transcript for colleges to look at. The service learning program, which allows students to work within the community, would probably look best of all on my transcript. I did my service learning at an elementary school where I helped in teaching different grade levels and different students. My job was basically to be an assistant, but sometimes I actually got to help a kid learn something important. I am pretty good with kids because I have a much younger brother than myself. Not only was it a good thing for colleges to see or to help me learn it was also surprisingly enjoyable.

Communities in Schools has helped me out in many ways, and I owe that program my gratitude for helping me become the student I am today. I know I will graduate, go to college and have a future. I think better about myself than I ever have, and that’s saying something about a guy with a pretty big ego. I hope every student with a problem with school learn’s about Communities in Schools. Communities in Schools has helped me, my friends and many other student’s across the country get a second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance at least once in there life.

No comments: